Dog shows are a great way to see lots of breeds of dogs in one place. They are a good place to talk to people who know dogs and know dog breeds. They are a great place to shop for all sorts of doggy things. Dog shows can be a great way for a family to spend the day. So, go and enjoy the dog show…
…and be sure to DO These Things.
These are the things that will make your dog show experience a good one and give you the best chance to talk and learn from the people who are showing.
- Ask Questions at the Right Time. The best time to ask your questions is when the handlers are casually talking outside the ring, not when they are rushing to the next ring or waiting to go into their class. It is sometimes best to wait until the breed that they are showing is finished being judged, because it is likely that they want to see the results of the judging. When you think the time is right, simply walk up and ask if this is a good time to ask some questions. Most dog show fanciers love to talk about their dogs.
- Do Ask to Pet! Most dogs at the dog show are someone’s pet and many love the attention of a stranger. It is important to ask the handler if you can pet their dog. The times your attention may not be welcome is when the dog has just been groomed and has not been in the ring or because the dog is tense and anxious because of all the activity around them. On the other hand, many breeders and owners bring their dog to the dog show for additional socialization and they will welcome your petting and compliments. Just ask first!
- Do Bring Your Own Chair! There is a lot of walking around and exploring to be done at the dog show but the best vantage point is sitting down and focusing on one breed or one ring for an extended period of time. Here is where things will start to come together and make sense. Plus it’s great to just sit in one spot to people and dog watch and wait for the drama to unfold.
- Do Take Pictures! Whether you use your iphone or a high end DSLR, the dog show is a great place to take pictures. Dog pictures are super to capture here, of course, but people pictures are fun to at the dog show too. Again, be sure to ask before your stick the camera in the nose of one of those prize winners, but don’t worry, most people will be delighted to pose their champion for you.
- Do Stay to Watch the Groups! At most dog shows, the groups start around 2 to 3 o’clock and they are the high point of the show for most people. Unless you are only interested in one breed (in which case you should check the schedule and be sure to watch that breed), the group is the thing to watch. One of each breed entered at the dog show (the Best of each Breed) will be shown in the group so it’s a great place to see all of your favorites. The groups are also a great time to express your opinion BY CLAPPING. Cheer on the dogs that you like the best. Everyone has an opinion at the dog show, this gives you a great chance to state yours!
- Do Get a Catalog! All the information at the dog show is gathered in the catalog. All of the breeds entered are listed here and the schedules of when each breed will be shown. The catalog lists all of the entrants in a particular breed as well. It tells you when and where everything will take place. And it is great fun reading all of the weird and wonderful names that dog people name their dogs.
- Do Shop at the Vendor Booths! At A Place for Paws, we encourage shopping at the vendor booths. You will find lots of interesting doggy things and lots of advice. From toys to treats, from food to shampoo, you should plenty of things for your dog. There are also loads of things for you that depict your dog, including t-shirt, key chains and calendars. Have fun exploring and buy a few things to take home.
So go to the dog show to enjoy the dogs and people, cheer on favorites, learn about some new breeds and shop for your favorite pooch. Have fun!
Question: If you go to dog shows, what do you enjoy most? Leave your answer in the comment section below.