Fermented fish stock. Just the name of it sounds, well, icky and sort of smelly. Once you realize the good that it can do for your pet, your feelings of ‘ick’ might just change.
Your first question might be “What is it?”. Answers Fermented Fish stock consists of fish stock and ground fermented sardines. That’s all. Simple. Nothing artificial, no preservatives. So now that we know what it is, what on earth does it do?
Fermented fish stock is a multipurpose feeding supplement for dogs and cats. Its benefits are many. Time to break it down…
- It contains a substance known as glycoaminoglycans or GAGs. Basically, GAGs are a major component of joint cartilage, glucosamine, chondroitin and hyaluronic acid – all things you use for optimal joint support. It is also high in anti-inflammatory amino acids which helps reduce the swelling that causes arthritis. Also contained within, is gelatin, whose job it is to coat the joints and act as a shock absorber between joints. In short, fermented fish stock might just help your dog who suffers from any sort of joint ailments or prevent your healthy dog from ever having issues.
- It is a natural source of iodine and thyroid nutrients – perfect for dogs that are pre-disposed to hypothyroidism, dogs that are borderline or dogs who actively have hypothyroidism.
- Fish stock has been shown to be beneficial for dogs with kidney issues. If you currently have your dog on a low protein prescription kibble and have not made the switch to an appropriate raw kidney diet, fish stock will help reduce your dog’s need for protein by 50%. It contains high amounts of arginine which is required by the body to metabolize protein waste. It also reduces blood pressure, both of which take stress off of the already weak kidneys.
- Both the digestive system and the liver are impacted by the fish stock in beneficial ways. First, gelatin has the ability to line the digestive system which acts as a barrier to bad bacteria, helps heal leaky gut syndrome and helps ease colitis. It holds digestive juices in the belly longer which aids in digestion of nutrients and aids in increased absorption of vitamins and minerals. It is high in glycine which encourages liver detox.
- All Omega fatty acids are concentrated in the fermented sardines which leads to better skin and coat health
- Insulin secretion is stimulated naturally by the fermented sardines. They are also quite high in magnesium which aids in insulin sensitivity making this a perfect addition to a diabetic pet’s diet.
Answer’s Fish Stock, when used as a supplement to your pet’s regular diet, will enhance immune function, provide easily absorbed minerals and nutrients, and promotes healing from within. It can help with joint function and kidney issues as well as give your pet a gorgeous coat. Most pets LOVE the taste and it can be mixed right into their food or fed alone. The smell? Not nearly as bad as one would think. Fish Stock is yet another way to enhance your pet’s quality of life – and who doesn’t want that?
Have you tried fermented fish stock or something similar for your dog? Leave your answer in the comment section below.